Wednesday, 9 November 2011

The Three 'R's - not!



Recalling the old adage of basic education being the three 'R's (Reading, (W)riting & (A)rithmetic) I have to say that I can't live without the first two - and for the third - God bless the inventor of the calculator!

Lately, life has been topsy-turvy and any notion of regular reading and writing has gone out of my head. Also the length seems to have been coming in bite-size chunks, taken as and when a lull in the hostilities of everyday life allows!

NaNoWriMo arrived at breakneck speed and passed me by - alas, maybe next year I will get my act together!

Even the weekly 'Thursday@3' slot has lain vacant for a few weeks, despite my best intentions. That is not to say I haven't been writing - just that it's all in my head rather on paper or a screen at the moment.

One thing I've come across recently is Every Day Fiction which delivers flash fiction to your email address - bite-sized chunks to go with a cup of coffee or to peruse over your lunch break. I've enjoyed the work of new/unfamiliar authors and there's a delight in not knowing exactly what you'll find in the daily mail-out!

So, perhaps this will sustain me until (maybe even 'if'?) the muse strikes again!

4 comments:

  1. I'll go check out that site. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way! Not only about the blessed invention of the calculator but about life being even more hectic and out of control. I was somehow able to get the first chapter of a story done and published on my blog. It just took far longer than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely sympathize with the lack of writing sometimes, be it a story or a blog post.

    Sometimes though, you just have to find a way to slog your way through it. And every once in a while, you have to grab your muse and have a very public conversation with him (or her) about things.

    More often than not, it winds up being the best jump starter that you can have for your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue, you have a lovely blog. Thanks for your mention of Every Day Fiction; I hope you will send us some of your work, if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete