Thursday, 12 January 2012

'A COLD DAY IN PARADISE' - Steve Hamilton - #1 Off The Shelf 2012



....and we're off!

The first book on my TBR list for the 2012 'OFF THE SHELF' challenge is Steve Hamilton's "A Cold Day In Paradise." I purchased this on a whim, touring a second-hand book store on a trip to the town of books, Hay-on-Wye. I was attracted by the cover and intrigued by the blurb - but it has sat on my shelf for too long, so I am delighted to have it as the beginning of this challenge!


A COLD DAY IN PARADISE - Steve Hamilton

This is the first in a series of novels based on a former policeman, Alex McKnight. Set in the town of Paradise, Michigan, and nearby Sault Ste. Marie (referred to as the 'Soo'), the action takes place in the hastening winter months and the storyline is as chilling as the falling temperatures!

Having been shot and seriously wounded in a confrontation with a psychotic killer named Maximillian Rose, with his partner dying at the scene, Alex Knight subsequently retires from the Detroit police force and returns to the Soo to manage a series of log-cabins his father had built and rented out to seasonal hunters.

As a sideline, he's persuaded to become a private detective but soon finds himself caught up in a web of murderous intrigue which has a strange connection to his own past. When the man who shot him and his former partner appears to be behind the slaying of a local bookmaker McKnight is perturbed, to say the least, especially since Rose is supposedly under lock and key serving a life sentence.

Facing hostility from the local police chief and still carrying one of the rounds that Rose pumped into his chest, McKnight is haunted by the thought that Rose may have escaped - who else would leave clues from the past, from the last conversation between a wounded policeman and his tormentor?

Steve Hamilton teases out the suspense with each successive chapter making this a true page-turner - and the icy backdrop keeps the action, and the reader, chilled to the bone!

Thankfully, I have the second book in the series, 'Winter Of The Wolfmoon' still awaiting me further down my TBR list - I'm looking forward to re-acquainting myself with Alex McKnight! :-)

3 comments:

  1. You had me at hello... noted time to crack open the Kindle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific review, Sue. I love Steve Hamilton and have read most of his books. His latest, MISERY BAY made my Favorites list of 2011.

    He is a two time Edgar Award winning author.

    I think his best book is BLOOD IS THE MOON which also features Alex McKnight.

    You're in for some good reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a good read. Your review pulled me in immediately. I clicked over from Cathy's blog, and I am a new follower. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete